The goal of PolicyAtlas is to build the most useful and widely available reference for public policy in the world. With your help, we hope to improve public policy—and the lives of those governed—by hosting a platform that achieves:
- Increased awareness of a greater number of public policies;
- Better decision-making when choosing among public policies; and
- Improved design of chosen policies in order to increase their effectiveness and/or political viability of implementation.
More background on the Project is available on the Atlas About page at: http://policyatlas.org/wiki/Policy_Atlas:About.
- Read publicly available content on the website free of charge.
- Contribute to and Edit various articles in the Atlas.
Under the following conditions:
- Responsibility – You take responsibility for your edits (since we only host your content).
- Civility – You support a civil environment and do not harass other users.
- Lawful Behavior – You do not violate copyright or other laws.
- No Harm – You do not harm our technology infrastructure.
With the understanding that:
No Professional Advice – the content of articles and other projects is for informational purposes only and does not constitute professional advice.
Welcome to PolicyAtlas! As used here, PolicyAtlas (“we,” “our” or “us) means the current owner or any successive owner(s) or owner entity (or entities) of the Atlas, as currently defined as the website, www.policyatlas.org.
To support this overarching goal, we provide the essential infrastructure and framework for the development of the Atlas and other endeavors that serve this mission. We strive to make and keep educational and informational content from the Atlas available to those in the policymaking community and the general public.
A mission of this Atlas is to build the most useful and widely available reference for public policy in the world. In doing so, we expect that the community - the network of users who will build and use the site or Atlas – will be the principal means through which the goals of the mission are achieved. The PolicyAtlas community undertakes the critical function of populating the site by sharing their own policy ideas and knowledge. Our goal is to host a platform in which that information can be shared among the community as efficiently and usefully as possible.
You are welcome to join as a contributor, editor, or author. We are dedicated to making content widely accessible to the policymaking community, and, as discussed further in Section 8, we require that all content you contribute is available to us under a specific license or in the public domain.
- 1 Our Services
- 3 Content We Host
- 4 Refraining from Certain Activities
- 5 Password Security
- 6 Safety
- 7 Trademarks
- 8 Licensing of Content
- 9 DMCA Compliance
- 10 Third-Party Content, Websites and Resources
- 11 Management of Website
- 12 Resolutions and Atlas Policies
- 13 Termination
- 14 Disputes and Jurisdiction
- 15 Disclaimers
- 16 Limitation on Liability
- 18 Other Terms
- 19 Thank You!
PolicyAtlas is encouraging the growth, development and distribution of public policy knowledge, and is accordingly hosting information on this wiki-based Atlas. Ultimately, our goal is to host the most useful and widely available reference for public policy in the world. We hope to improve public policy—and the lives of all governed—by hosting a platform that achieves:
- Increased awareness of a greater number of public policies;
- Better decision-making with respect to choosing among public policies; and
- Improved design of chosen public policies that will increase their effectiveness and political viability of implementation.
In addition, we also hope to foster a superior understanding of public policy among contributors to the site, and particularly among students who may choose to participate under our Student Learning Module.
However, we act primarily as a hosting service, maintaining the infrastructure and organizational framework that allows our users to build the Atlas by contributing and editing content themselves. Because of our unique role, there are a couple of things you should be aware of when considering our relationship to you, the Atlas, and the other users:
- We do not assume editorial responsibility or liability for any user-submitted content: Because the Atlas is collaboratively edited, the content that we host is chiefly provided by users like yourself. PolicyAtlas itself does not take any responsibility for this content. Similarly, we do not endorse any opinions expressed via our services, and we do not represent or guarantee the truthfulness, accuracy, or reliability of any submitted community content. Instead, we provide access to the content that your fellow users have contributed and edited.
- You are responsible and liable for your own actions: You retain ownership of and are legally responsible for your edits and contributions on the Atlas, so for your own protection you should exercise caution and avoid contributing any content that may result in criminal or civil liability under any applicable laws. For clarity, applicable law includes at least the laws of the United States of America. Although we may not agree with such actions, we warn editors and contributors that authorities may seek to apply other country laws to you, including local laws where you live or where you view or edit content. PolicyAtlas generally cannot offer any protection, guarantee, immunity or indemnification.
Content We Host
You may find some material objectionable or erroneous: Because we provide a wide array of content that is produced or gathered by fellow users, you may encounter material that you find offensive, erroneous, misleading, mislabeled, or otherwise objectionable. We therefore ask that you use common sense and proper judgment when using our services.
Our content is for general informational purposes only: Although we expect to host a great deal of information that pertains to professional topics, including but not limited to medical, legal, or financial issues, this content is presented for general informational purposes only. It should not be taken as professional advice. Please seek independent professional counseling from someone who is licensed or qualified in the applicable area in lieu of acting on any information, opinion, or advice contained in the Atlas website.
Refraining from Certain Activities
The Atlas hosted by PolicyAtlas only exists because of the community of users like you who collaborate to write, edit, and curate the content. We happily welcome your participation in this community. We encourage you to be civil and polite in your interactions with others in the community, to act in good faith, and to make edits and contributions aimed at furthering the mission of the shared Atlas.
Certain activities, whether legal or illegal, may be harmful to other users and violate our rules, and some activities may also subject you to liability. Therefore, for your own protection and for that of other users, you may not engage in such activities on our sites. These activities include:
- Harassing and Abusing Others - Engaging in harassment, threats, stalking, spamming, or vandalism; and Transmitting chain mail, junk mail, or spam to other users.
- Violating the Privacy of Others - Infringing the privacy rights of others under the laws of the United States of America or other applicable laws (which may include the laws where you live or where you view or edit content); Soliciting personally identifiable information for purposes of harassment, exploitation, violation of privacy, or any promotional or commercial purpose not explicitly approved by the Wikimedia Foundation; and Soliciting personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18 for an illegal purpose or violating any applicable law regarding the health or well-being of minors.
- Engaging in False Statements, Impersonation, or Fraud - Intentionally or knowingly posting content that constitutes libel or defamation; With the intent to deceive, posting content that is false or inaccurate; Attempting to impersonate another user or individual, misrepresenting your affiliation with any individual or entity, or using the username of another user with the intent to deceive; and Engaging in fraud.
- Committing Infringement - Infringing copyrights, trademarks, patents, or other proprietary rights under applicable law.
- Misusing Our Services for Other Illegal Purposes - Posting child pornography or any other content that violates applicable law concerning child pornography; Posting or trafficking in obscene material that is unlawful under applicable law; and Using the services in a manner that is inconsistent with applicable law.
- Engaging in Disruptive and Illegal Misuse of Facilities - Posting or distributing content that contains any viruses, malware, worms, Trojan horses, malicious code, or other device that could harm our technical infrastructure or system or that of our users; Engaging in automated uses of the site that are abusive or disruptive of the services and have not been approved by PolicyAtlas; Disrupting the services by placing an undue burden on the Atlas website or the networks or servers connected with the Atlas website; Disrupting the services by inundating the Atlas website with communications or other traffic that suggests no serious intent to use the Atlas website for its stated purpose; Knowingly accessing, tampering with, or using any of our non-public areas in our computer systems without authorization; and Probing, scanning, or testing the vulnerability of any of our technical systems or networks unless all the following conditions are met: such actions do not unduly abuse or disrupt our technical systems or networks; such actions are not for personal gain (except for credit for your work); you report any vulnerabilities to PolicyAtlas or the underlying software developers (or fix it yourself); and you do not undertake such actions with malicious or destructive intent.
- a statement on your user page,
- a statement on the talk page accompanying any paid contributions, or
- a statement in the edit summary accompanying any paid contributions.
Applicable law, or community and PolicyAtlas policies and guidelines, such as those addressing conflicts of interest, may further limit paid contributions or require more detailed disclosure. We reserve the right to exercise our enforcement discretion with respect to the above terms.
You are responsible for safeguarding your own password and should never disclose it to any third party.
We do our best to keep the Atlas safe, but we cannot guarantee it. We need your help to keep the Atlas safe, which includes the following commitments by you:
- You will not post unauthorized commercial communications (such as spam) on the Atlas.
- You will not collect users' content or information, or otherwise access the Atlas, using automated means (such as harvesting bots, robots, spiders, or scrapers) without our prior permission.
- You will not engage in unlawful multi-level marketing, such as a pyramid scheme, on the Atlas.
- You will not upload viruses or other malicious code.
- You will not solicit login information or access an account belonging to someone else.
- You will not bully, intimidate, or harass any user.
- You will not post content that: is hate speech, threatening, or pornographic; incites violence; or contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence.
- You will not do anything that could disable, overburden, or impair the proper working or appearance of the Atlas, such as a denial of service attack or interference with page rendering or other Facebook functionality.
Licensing of Content
All users contributing to the Atlas are required to grant broad permissions to PolicyAtlas to re-distribute and re-use their contributions freely.
You agree to grant PolicyAtlas a non-exclusive, perpetual, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any content that you post on or in connection with the Atlas for both non-commercial and commercial uses and with or without attribution.
Non-text media - You may import non-text media that you have developed or co-authored with others, but in such case you warrant that the content is available to PolicyAtlas under terms that are compatible with the license requirements as explained above
Public domain content - Content that is in the public domain is welcome! It is important however that you confirm the public domain status of the content under the law of the United States of America as well as the laws of any other countries as required by the Atlas. When you contribute content that is in the public domain, you warrant that the material is actually in the public domain, and you agree to label it appropriately.
Re-licensing - At some future point, PolicyAtlas may wish to broadly relicense some or all of the content on the Atlas. This relicensing, if offered, may or may not be in a form under or similar to a Creative Commons license. By using the Atlas, you consent to this right of PolicyAtlas.
PolicyAtlas wants to ensure that the content that we feature can be shared without fear of liability and that it is not infringing on the proprietary rights of others. In fairness to our users, as well as to other creators and copyright holders, our policy is to respond to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the formalities of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Pursuant to the DMCA, we will terminate, in appropriate circumstances, users and account holders of our system and network who are repeat infringers.
However, we also recognize that not every takedown notice is valid or in good faith. In such cases, we strongly encourage users to file counter-notifications when they appropriately believe a DMCA takedown demand is invalid or improper. For more information on what to do if you think a DMCA notice has been improperly filed, you may wish to consult the [Effects] website.
If you are the owner of content that is being improperly used on the Atlas without your permission, you may request that the content be removed under the DMCA. To make such a request, please visit our Copyright Infringement page.
Third-Party Content, Websites and Resources
You are solely responsible for your use of any third-party content, websites or resources. Although the Atlas contains links to third-party websites and resources, we do not endorse and are not responsible or liable for their availability, accuracy, or the related content, products, or services (including, without limitation, any viruses or other disabling features), nor do we have any obligation to monitor such third-party content.
Management of Website
At PolicyAtlas, we primarily rely on the community for editorial decisions and enforcement of policies. However, we reserve the right but do not have the obligation to:
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues or respond to user support requests;
- Refuse, disable, or restrict access to the contribution of any user for any reason;
- Manage otherwise the Atlas website in a manner designed to facilitate its proper functioning and protect the rights, property, and safety of ourselves and our users, licensors, partners, and the public.
Resolutions and Atlas Policies
PolicyAtlas may release official policies from time to time. Some of these policies may be mandatory, and, when they are, you agree to abide by them as applicable.
Disputes and Jurisdiction
At PolicyAtlas, we do our best to provide educational and informational content to a very wide audience, but your use of our services is at your sole risk. We provide these services on an "as is" and "as available" basis, and we expressly disclaim all express or implied warranties of all kinds, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement. We make no warranty that our services will meet your requirements, be safe, secure, uninterrupted, timely, accurate, or error-free, or that your information will be secure.
Any material downloaded or otherwise obtained through your use of our services is done at your own discretion and risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of any such material. You agree that we have no responsibility or liability for the deletion of, or the failure to store or to transmit, any content or communication maintained by the service. We retain the right to create limits on use and storage at our sole discretion at any time with or without notice.
Limitation on Liability
PolicyAtlas will not be liable to you or to any other party for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data, or other intangible losses, regardless of whether we were advised of the possibility of such damage. In no event shall our liability exceed one hundred U.S. dollars (USD 100.00) in aggregate. In the case that applicable law may not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability or incidental or consequential damages, the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you, although our liability will be limited to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law.
If anyone brings a claim against us related to your actions, content or information on PolicyAtlas, you will indemnify and hold us harmless from and against all damages, losses, and expenses of any kind (including reasonable legal fees and costs) related to such claim. Although we provide rules for user conduct, we do not control or direct users' actions on the Atlas and are not responsible for the content or information users transmit or share on the Atlas. We are not responsible for any offensive, inappropriate, obscene, unlawful or otherwise objectionable content or information you may encounter on the Atlas. We are not responsible for the conduct, whether online or offline, of any user of the Atlas.
You understand that, unless otherwise agreed to in writing by us, you have no expectation of compensation for any activity, contribution, or idea that you provide to us, the community, or the Atlas.
Through your contributions, you are helping to build something really big – not only an important collection of collaboratively edited reference materials that provide education and information to those who might otherwise lack access, but also a vibrant community of like-minded and engaged peers, focused on a very noble goal.